I’m a newspaper columnist!

April 23rd, 2009 by marcus

Based on the fact that i am sweating over my copy this afternoon, i think it is safe to say that I am now officially a newspaper columnist.

The downside is that “newspaper columnist” is a sub-profession of human being somewhere above politician and used car salesman and below journalist. I’m not sure that inflicting my constant rambling stream of ideas and opinions will endear me to anyone. The upside is that it will be an outlet for my constantly bubbling stream of ideas and opinions that will actually pay me.

My regularly weekly column will be in the new revamped arts section of The Age every MONDAY starting from the 27th of April. I’m not privvy to the larger plans for the revamped Age arts section but the discussions i’ve been involved in sound very promising. Obviously, the fact that they chose to involve me is – in my entirely objective opinion – a sign of excellent judgement.

Sadly The Age have rejected most of my good ideas. It looks like i will be doing cultural opinion and commentary as text and not interperative dance pieces, powerpoint presentations or musings about how adorable my kids are. Actually, my preferred approach was simply to resubmit old Andrew Bolt columns and simply change the prejudices (hence the sentence: “it’s also clear that a worrying number of former merchant bankers are coming from a very different culture and are struggling to make their way here and to integrate”) but they nixed that idea too.

So cultural commentary it is.

There’s still no word on exactly how the online side of things will work but i will post links to pieces here as they are published online and/or provide detailed instructions on purchasing newspapers for all you generation Y types that have that are unfamiliar with text in analogue.

Also, in keeping with the role of the columnist, i will also be in dire need of constant tip offs about interesting things, works and ideas that i can pass off as my own original insights. Please do feel free to offer suggestions!

Tags:   · · · · · · · · · · · · · 7 Comments

• 1 rosiex Apr 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm

my life. on the internets – you should be marcus w. westbury :) .

• 2 Edith Moss Apr 23, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Well done Marcus, as you probably know – arts journalism has not had the greatest wrap lately, with a few exceptions, one of which you are now included. Keep up the great work!

• 3 Edith Moss Apr 23, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Great work Marcus, thank God there will be some decent arts writers added to the very small list of currently great visual arts writers at the at the major newspaper, such as Elizabeth Fortescue or Andrew Frost. Good luck.

• 4 Christel Apr 25, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I look forward to reading your first column Marcus. – pressure’s on ;) – BTW: I really enjoyed the series ‘Not quite Art’. Bravo¡

• 5 pete May 2, 2009 at 2:45 pm

It’s freakin’ awesome for all of us that the age has snapped you up, rant on I say. I do have a couple of challenges for you though, if you might be so brave: 1) I’d like to you to have a go at weaving ‘interpretative dance’ into at least one article in the coming months, and 2) consider writing an article that has the potential to unify, not polarise the ‘opposing’ ends of the creative continuum. Everyone is going to need to come to the party of we are going to see any lasting shifts in our nations creative consciousness.

MW, you have a fantastically coherent voice…look forward to hearing more of it.

• 6 Merle Hathaway May 25, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Loved your piece in today’s Age on “the Gallery effect”.

At the state-of-the arts NGV in Fed Square I’m still not sure which glass panels open to let you in. I usually approach and wave my hands in the air, and I musn’t start on the obscure art of toilet flushing!

But too many arts critics and curators write as if their lives depended on their pieces being completely unintelligible. Unfortunately the Emporers New Clothes Syndrome keeps people from saying “this is rubbish”.

• 7 Chris May 28, 2009 at 3:00 am

Here’s some commentary for you Marcus…. you’re a deluded egomaniac