Me. v. Adelaide radio host Peter Goers

October 22nd, 2008 by marcus

I’d resisted posting this for a while because i wasn’t exactly sure how to introduce it.

Part of me was tempted to launch into an elaboration of my theory of why and how Adelaide is the least interesting cultural place in all of Australia. It is. Honest.

Part of me was tempted to elaborate on the highly amusing idea i pitched among a few ideas to ABC TV a few months ago to do a series called “Marcus Westbury’s Classical Re-Education” (or something like that), that would have been very similar to this interview. Should that series does ever get plucked out of the great TV ideas waiting room in the sky, Peter Goers has skyrocketed above my former some time sparring partners GIles Auty and Richard Gill as the person most likely to re-educate me in the first episode.

Part of me was tempted to point out that the ABC publicity department may have pitched this show a little wide of the mark in lining up interviews. Given that this was literally the only interview they organised for the entire series i do wonder. I’m curious about whether anyone called, say, Triple J?

I will resist all of those things. Instead, i think i will simply introduce this piece by saying that I don’t really know anything much about Peter Goers except that we both love Newcastle. Which is good enough for me.

Weirdest. Interview. Ever. It started out all very friendly and then he TURNED ON ME. Apologies for the audio quality.

* It is worth pointing out that i really enjoy doing interviews like this one (hence the series idea above) and i like talking to people like Peter. I love a roubust exchange of views. If Peter ever wants to get me back for a regular segment i’m around :) Maybe there’s a gig for me at classic FM?

Tags:   · · · · · · 6 Comments

• 1 Daniel Oct 23, 2008 at 12:18 am

That’s… quite something. Resisting the urge to criticise the interviewer (an admittedly strong urge, though somewhat lessened by his marginally embarrassed post-script), the most interesting thing is that surely, you must be doing something right if people react that strongly to your series. I’m going to assume that he’s the type of guy who probably wouldn’t have watched the show if he didn’t have to for interviewing you, so in that case, it’s interesting to be reminded of what those who don’t watch arts shows at 10pm think.

I suspect Mr Goer’s apparent familiarity with the internet means he probably won’t read this post, so I feel free in suggesting that Yahtzee’s opinion of old people and technology from the first episode, in this case, probably applies.

At least you can’t say that the ABC has an over-the-top approach to cross-promotion.

• 2 Fergus Pitt Oct 23, 2008 at 9:40 am

Amazing interview.

Disclosure: I work for the ABC, but these views are my own.

With regard to getting publicity. It’s probably telling that Goers didn’t seem to have heard of the first series. It might be that that’s the only reason his producers lined up the interview.

As you said the other day, using the same title for the series makes it harder to pitch as something new… but there’s a also digital/internet media theory angle here: Most of the people who watched the first series would probably be interested in seeing a second series.

There’s a continuity in individual NQA fans interest which is not matched by radio producers’ perception of mass audience tastes: The prevailing wisdom in most broadcast and mass-targeted media is that something new is more interesting than a repeated event (even if there’s an update).

What’s new is the emergence of devices (like Tivo) and systems (like podcasts and RSS feeds) that allow people to subscribe or be notified of something like a second series of NQA. Mind you, the systems still have to be used properly so that the second series is on the same xml file as the first series (for example).

Those devices will continue to change our idea of news values, scheduling, and the role of publicists, because we are getting more control to consume information that is relevant to us. At the moment in Australia you really have to care a lot to bother exerting that control; enough to set up a feed reader or subscribe to podcasts. We don’t have Tivo in any serious sense and a huge amount of audio is not available as podcasts or on-demand. But (perhaps after our current downturn) more refined and developed systems and devices will become more common and you won’t just have to rely on a pugnacious radio host for publicity.

• 3 Daniel Oct 26, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I recently spoke to my Mum, and thought I should pass on that although she’s never seen an episode of Not Quite Art, she heard the interview live on the radio and was apparently so incensed by it that she was yelling at Peter Goers through the radio in the bathroom. Who says that radio isn’t a participatory medium?

• 4 tanya Jan 28, 2009 at 8:30 am

hilarious marcus. Peter must have felt much lighter after having unloaded 10 years of pent up frustration on you. although, he also appeared increasingly confused. I am wanting to watch the program now… :)

• 5 bosley Jan 30, 2009 at 11:05 am

tuck your shirt in, son!

• 6 Kate Eltham Jan 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I love the way he introduces the show at the beginning: “NOT! QUITE! ART!”

What’s this curious thing, eh, wot?