The Newcastle Scheme

August 20th, 2008 by marcus

Expect much more on this as the months roll on but i’ve finally gone public about what I’ve been running around proposing for the Newcastle CBD. It’s so crazy it just might work.

Courtesy of ABC Radio 1233 (you can hear the interview and see some pictures here)…

Tags:   · · · · · · · · · 6 Comments

• 1 Dale Slamma Aug 20, 2008 at 11:50 am

Brilliant. If you ever need any help with this one I’d be glad to lend a hand.

• 2 Miriam Lyons Aug 20, 2008 at 9:05 pm

At last! This is an excellent idea. Newcastle’s the right place to start for sure, but I can see this model being adopted in all sorts of places. I’d be keen to see how you go with the legal side of setting up the trust – whether it ticks any of the limited set of boxes available under current charity tax laws. With the tax review on at the moment it’s a good time to point out where the law needs to be changed to reflect the realities of the new breed of non-profits.

• 3 Gem Aug 20, 2008 at 11:40 pm

That. Is. So. Cool.

• 4 David Newman Sep 16, 2008 at 12:45 pm

This is a brilliant idea. As an organisation we currently “live” in an unused section of another businesses building. We would love to have a shopfront where we could interact with us on a daily basis, but due to the huge expense of doing so we have not made this move.

While our head office is currently in Sydney (Thornleigh), I live in the Lake Macquarie area and would be interested in participating in this project if the right opportunity presents itself.

Regards
    David Newman
    General Manager
    Chronic Pain Australia

• 5 Susy Pow Sep 25, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Too bad Sushi & Cigarettes closed – it was one of the only good DIY music and art venues in the entire city.

• 6 Luke Oct 17, 2008 at 3:05 am

I think this a great idea. Good luck to you with it.

I was watching NQA series 1 on podcast the other night and even for the third or so viewing, the whole Glasgow section got me pretty excited. I don’t get to see a lot of that kind of thing here in Perth.